10Q10Q -- faith, life, rethinking church, following Jesus...stuff

Come join in the discussion of faith at the Koinonia Page where scripture and life intersect in conversation and exploration. Visit on Facebook, Twitter, and Dave's Web Page too! I'd welcome your company at Palmyra First United Methodist Church, where I hang out, too, come and see!

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

In Memorium...Man & Mission

My Dad died yesterday morning.  It's been the predictable whirlwind of calls and questions since.  There is much to say, but right now a partial and maybe disjointed reflection.
      I will miss Dad.  He taught me faith and fun, play and serious stuff.   I have many fond memories of moments like when I didn't know what to do with the mentally challenged kid's pestering everyday on my walk home from the school bus, Dad said to tell him, "Cease and desist or you will be the perpetrator of a disastrous incident."  He was teaching me humor, compassion and language all at once.
    Here on the mission trip I have seen the true power of Church as the group has come around me and my family offering compassion, care, help with any transportation, funds,... in short showing me the love of God in practical ways.  Thank you team.  It means the world to me.   (Some from back-home church have even helped via e-methods.  Thank you too.)
     Family is the most important part of the reflection as my wife Penny has offered care and my and her  behalf to Mom and others.  Thank you sweetheart.  And family that has encouraged me to stay in mission, or do whatever I need to do.  Thank you.  Perhaps family most for sharing the foundation together of the love of Jesus in practical and enduring ways that gives us hope and joy even in the face of death.
    Dad died today.  It's hard and good.  It's challenging and easy.  It's faith and practical stuff.  It's part of life and faith.  One thing I know is that his faith in the practical and enduring love of Jesus served him well in life and is lifting him into joy even now.  So to you Dad, Thanks and I Love You.

3 comments:

  1. Dave,
    So sorry to hear about your Dad. May the peace of the Lord be with you and your family.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave, such lovely words. Stephen and I have such wonderful memories of meeting your Dad many years ago. We were so impressed with your Mom and Dad and could see immediately where you get your faith and strength (and sense of humour!). Our thoughts and prayers are with you and Penny and your Mom at this time.
    Much love Jenny and Stephen Boylen (Australia)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave
    Such lovely words! Stephen and I have such wonderful memories of meeting your Dad many years ago. It was a joy for us to meet your Mom and Dad and it was so easy to see where you get your faith and strength (and sense of humour!) Our thoughts and prayers are with you and Penny and your Mom at this time.
    Much love
    Jenny and Stephen Boylen (Australia)

    ReplyDelete